Thursday, August 15, 2013


Week of Vegan. Day 2, Wednesday.

In answer to the question about supplements, yes, I take some supplements. However, I went for many years as a vegan without taking any and I felt great and don't think I had any deficiencies. Now, I take algae-based Omega 3 every day, and I take B12 and calcium whenever I remember (which is probably a couple of times a week). I tend not to get too hung up about supplements because I feel that my diet is sufficiently balanced to take care of most of my needs. And, of course, I eat a ton of nutritional yeast, which is delicious and one of the few vegan sources of B12. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast: 
- toasted Alvarado Street California Complete Protein Bread with Earth Balance
- nectarine
- coffee


Lunch: 
- homemade split pea soup*, corn tortilla
- banana drizzled with maple syrup



Dinner: 
- Gardein Crispy Tenders with sweet chili sauce, crinkle cut fries, green salad in balsamic dressing 
- glass of chardonnay
- mango





I made the split pea soup in a crock pot. I am totally, 100%, digging the crock pot. An old housemate left it here my mistake when he moved to the east coast, unused and still in the box. For a long time I didn't even bother to open it because I didn't really know what to do with it. Then I was bored one day and decided to clean out the kitchen cupboards. I came across it, busted it out, and the rest is history. I use it to cook all sorts of things overnight, typically beans, soups and stews. Everything I have ever made in it has come out perfectly. For this soup, I just put the ingredients in the pot and left it on the high setting for about 9 hours. You will need one pound of split peas, a chopped onion, one teaspoon of vegetable bouillon, generous amounts of garam masala, modest amounts of salt. That's it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment